Due to ongoing construction, the library meeting room will be unavailable in December. It will reopen in early 2020.
To check meeting room availability, please call (219) 873-3049 on weekdays from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Library-sponsored activities will always take precedence when scheduling meeting room use. Non-library groups who wish to use the room will be scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please complete the meeting room application and submit it and any applicable fee at least two weeks prior to the desired meeting date. The application may be mailed to the library (Robin Kohn, Michigan City Public Library, 100 E. 4th Street, Michigan City, IN 46360), faxed to (219) 873-3475, or turned in to the Circulation Desk to the attention of Robin Kohn.
All meetings scheduled in the meeting room shall be free and open to the public.
The meeting room is not to be used for solicitation purposes. The library adheres to a strict no solicitation policy in the building and on its grounds with the exception of library and Friends of the Library business.
Library premises may be used for non-partisan political meetings or events such as candidate’s nights, which invite all candidates and are sponsored by independent organizations.
Library premises may be used by religious groups in order to hold non-denominational or interdenominational meetings.
Private social gatherings are not permitted.
Only the library or library-related groups may conduct a fundraiser in the library.
The meeting room is free of charge. Groups who wish to serve refreshments at their meeting must pay a $10 fee to cover cleaning costs.
The full meeting room has a seated capacity of 125. A half-room divider can create two rooms.
The room includes tables and chairs. The following equipment is also available: video projector, DVD player, laptop computer, microphone, display boards, podium, easel, and coffee pot. Please indicate any equipment needed on the meeting room application. Call Robin at 219-873-3049 with any questions.
Groups serving food and/or beverages must provide their own supplies. All groups are responsible for cleaning up after their meeting and leaving the room as they found it.
- No activity shall be permitted which shall in any manner be potentially or directly destructive to library property or to the operation of the library. Organizations that reserve the meeting room assume full financial responsibility for any damage incurred resulting from the use of the meeting room.
- The library assumes no responsibility for the personal belongings of those attending meetings.
- Permission to use the meeting room does not in any way constitute approval or endorsement by the library of the group’s policies, beliefs, or activities.
- Medical organizations using the room to perform tests, vaccinations, or other procedures are responsible for the clean up and disposal of any medical and/or hazardous waste.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be served or consumed in the library.
- No smoking is permitted in the library.
- All open flames, including the use of candles, are prohibited.
- The use of balloons or other non-secured decorations is prohibited in the library.
The library will comply with the provisions of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) by providing a qualified interpreter or auxiliary aids upon request at least ten days in advance of library-sponsored programs. Outside groups using the meeting room must also comply with ADA. They are responsible for providing qualified interpreters or auxiliary aids upon request.