The library’s temporary hours are:
Monday-Saturday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
By order of the Michigan City Public Library Board of Trustees: Effective April 6, 2021, face masks are required to be worn inside the library, until further notice. Disposable masks are for sale for $1.00 at the library Circulation desk and Reference desk.
All patrons are encouraged to practice social distancing.
The library reserves the right to impose occupancy limits, if necessary.
Hand sanitizer is available for use at all service desks and additional locations throughout the library. Patrons may also wash their hands at the sinks in the public restrooms.
All returned materials are quarantined for 72 hours before being reshelved.
The library has enacted enhanced cleaning protocols, including frequent cleaning of high-touch services.
All keyboards and computer mice are covered with protective sleeves, which are changed between each use.
Only the following services/programs will be available:
- Borrowing of materials
- Limited capacity computer lab access:
- One session (up to one hour) per person per day
- Due to social distancing guidelines, only one person at a station at a time
- Due to social distancing guidelines, children are not allowed to be in the computer lab with their parents/guardians
- Staff will not be able to provide one-on-one assistance with the computer at this time.
- Two charging tables with a limit of 30 minutes per use (no seating is available at these stations). Charging stations are available from 9 AM to 5 PM.
- Interlibrary loan
- Summer Reading Program
- Homebound Service
- WiFi – Available throughout building and exterior/parking lot
- Faxing and copying (standard fees apply)
- VITA tax assistance program (during tax season)
- Microfilm reader use (by appointment only):
- Please call 219-873-3044 to schedule an appointment. Appointments must be made at least one day in advance. No same-day appointments will be accepted.
- Appointments are limited to one session (of up to one hour) per person per day
- Due to social distancing guidelines, only one person is allowed at a microfilm reader at a time, and only one appointment is allowed per slot.
- Masks are required in the library, including at the microfilm readers.
- Microfilm reels will be quarantined for three days following use. We cannot guarantee that a specific reel will be available at the time of your appointment.
The following services are suspended until further notice:
- Public seating
- In-person public programs and meetings
- Literacy tutoring
- MakerSpace, including 3D printing
- Study rooms
- Puppets, puzzles, blocks, and children’s AWE computers in Youth Services
- Ellison die-cut machine
- Magazine and book sale
- NO DONATIONS of any kind will be accepted.
Patrons may not plug their devices in outlets other than those in the 4 charging tables.
Patrons may not sit on the floor or tables.
Patrons will not be charged any fines on materials from the period of March 1, 2020 to June 14, 2020.
No curbside service is available.
Book drops are open.
E-books and e-audiobooks are available on mobile devices through our free Axis 360 app (download from the App Store and Google Play Store). They can also be streamed from our Axis 360 website at https://mclib.axis360.baker-taylor.com/. Find out more about Axis 360 at https://www.mclib.org/books-movies-more/ebooks-eaudiobooks/
Additional online resources are available at https://www.mclib.org/books-movies-more/articles-databases/