Current Job Announcements
Librarian IV/Specialist III
The Librarian IV/Specialist III will work with the MCPL Youth Services team to plan, market, and present
programs for youth; provide reference and reading suggestions to children and parents; and incorporate new
and existing technologies into youth makerspace activities.
• Create, plan, and implement monthly programs and makerspace activities for youth using various
technologies and traditional craft materials.
• Plan, present, and assist with weekly, thematic story times using age-appropriate books, songs, finger-plays, and crafts.
• Plan and present age-appropriate story times for class visits, library tours, and other assigned or teacher-requested programs for Michigan City Area Schools.
• Assist with planning and implementing the Summer Reading Program including publicity, procedures, and
programming activities for children of all ages.
• Provide excellent customer service while locating titles, authors, and subjects of materials to help patrons
answer their information needs, or refer patrons to appropriate staff for further assistance.
• Assist with daily shelving and shelf reading in Youth Services department.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Demonstrated experience in planning and presenting programs for children.
• Ability to use a computer, tablet, and mobile device.
• Skill and interest in learning new technologies and software.
• Ability to accurately shelve library materials according to library filing rules.
• A love of libraries and lifelong learning.
• MLS/MLIS degree preferred.
• Experience with coding programs for kids and knowledge of computer programming languages is a plus.
• Knowledge of children’s and teen literature.
• Experience and interest in S.T.E.M. and S.T.E.A.M. programming for youth.
• A demonstrated experience of maker projects for youth involving things like Scratch, Makey Makey,
Ozobots, Sphero, LEGO WeDo, e-textiles, 3D printing, stop-motion video, and audio editing is a plus.
• Experience with content creation for social media and webpages.
Salary dependent on qualifications.
Closes when filled.
How to Apply
Download our application for employment:
Application forms may also be picked up at the Circulation Desk of the library. Applications may be turned in at the Circulation Desk or mailed to:
Michigan City Public Library
100 E. 4th Street
Michigan City, IN 46360
Please review each job announcement for specific application procedures and requirements.
Applications are held on file for a minimum of ninety days.